Loading...
Indoor Air Quality2019-04-23T16:28:39+00:00

Fast. Reliable. Honest.
Experts At What We Do.

Here’s an interesting fact:

All of the air inside your home or in a commercial building completely circulates through the HVAC system in 8 – 16 minutes.

Your HVAC system is the center of your indoor environment and it can determine your indoor air quality. According to the EPA, without proper ventilation and air cleaning, indoor air can be 2 to 5 times more polluted than outdoor air.

Creating the perfect indoor environment involves four steps:

Controlling Humidity

Moisture is the single most important factor. Too much or too little humidity indoors can be destructive and create unhealthy effects. Improper humidity and temperature levels can actually increase concentrations of particles and bio-aerosols. A properly designed, installed, and operating air conditioning/heating system sets the foundation for humidity control. This includes a duct system that is clean and sealed to keep duct leakage to a minimum. We strongly recommend duct cleaning when needed and it is a first step toward maintaining healthy indoor air quality.

Filtering Particulate

Your filters are very important in maintaining your hvac system. A build-up of contaminants on an indoor coil just 0.002” thick can reduce airflow by 9%. Particulate matter comes in many sizes.Dust that you can see is only 1% of what’s actually in the air. The remaining 99% is ultra-fine to coarse microscopic particulate, bio-aerosols, and volatile organic compounds that create real issues. HVAC filters are MERV-rated based on their ability to remove different size particles.

Filtering Particulate

Your filters are very important in maintaining your hvac system. A build-up of contaminants on an indoor coil just 0.002” thick can reduce airflow by 9%. Particulate matter comes in many sizes.Dust that you can see is only 1% of what’s actually in the air. The remaining 99% is ultra-fine to coarse microscopic particulate, bio-aerosols, and volatile organic compounds that create real issues. HVAC filters are MERV-rated based on their ability to remove different size particles.

Ventilating with Fresh Outdoor Air

One-third of the indoor air should be changed every hour, not just filtered but exchanged for fresh outdoor air. If this ventilation rate does not occur, indoor air in homes and buildings with modern, energy-efficient construction becomes stale and contaminated.

Modern homes are well insulated and sealed to conserve energy—trapping pollutants and increasing the concentration indoors. Moisture comes from cooking, washing clothes and dishes, showers, and even breathing. Construction materials off-gas (VOC) at a higher rate when exposed to higher temperatures and humidity.

Ventilating with Fresh Outdoor Air

One-third of the indoor air should be changed every hour, not just filtered but exchanged for fresh outdoor air. If this ventilation rate does not occur, indoor air in homes and buildings with modern, energy-efficient construction becomes stale and contaminated.

Modern homes are well insulated and sealed to conserve energy—trapping pollutants and increasing the concentration indoors. Moisture comes from cooking, washing clothes and dishes, showers, and even breathing. Construction materials off-gas (VOC) at a higher rate when exposed to higher temperatures and humidity.

Eradicating Gases and Biologicals

The average home or office contains hundreds of different types of gases from sources such as internal combustion heating equipment, “off-gassing” from furnishings, carpeting, paint, cleaning products and deodorants, ozone and radon, and even “musty smell” from mold. Even at below permissible exposure levels, these gases cause sensitivity and irritation for many people. Biologicals include fungus, mold spores, pollen, bacteria, and viruses. The indoor evaporator coil and return full of moisture, protected from ultraviolet sunlight, and creates a niche environment that would otherwise not exist outdoors. As biologicals propagate, it’s not uncommon for the number of spores in the indoor HVAC coil and returns to exceed outdoor levels.

Filters are not enough for eliminating microorganisms that attach to particulate matter to become airborne and are the source of many allergies. Filters collect dust and other matter that becomes nutrient for contaminants that then multiply and are carried downstream. In humid environments, mold can multiply and actually grow throughout a filter and live spores can be distributed throughout the airstream. This applies also to volatile organic compounds and gases that are recognized by distinct odors and can become harmful at concentrated levels that occur with indoor air. Other available systems can be installed in return ductwork that combines UV catalysts with filtration.

Outdoor “fresh” air is often less polluted than indoor air and therefore “opening the window” will frequently improve indoor air quality by diluting indoor airborne contaminants. However, this is not always true. For example during pollen season, outdoor air can contain pollutants than make indoor air worse, not better. Also, you might not want to open leave windows open during February or August. Outdoor air must be “conditioned” to match temperature and humidity settings indoors.

Ventilation systems exchange and dilute contaminated indoor air with fresher outside air. Reduces concentrations of chemicals, fumes, carbon dioxide, and other contaminants.

What is a Perfect Indoor Climate?

The optimal balance of ventilation, circulation, filtration, and temperature and humidity control in the most energy and cost-efficient way.

  • Optimal efficiency heating and cooling equipment
  • Precise, programmable temperature control
  • Effective indoor air quality control
  • Controlled humidity
  • Proper ventilation and air distribution

CALL NOW
615 83-GREEN

Trusted by Middle Tennessee for Over 60 Years